It was my second year participating in the Warrior Dash. I remember now why I thought it was so hard last year..because it is HARD! I thought I’d have no problem with it this year because I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, but I guess not because it was tough!
The obstacles were the easy part to me. It was all the running up hills in mud and keeping up a fast pace with my boyfriend and our other guy friend. I have a much slower pace than them, so I was worn out quickly.
Anyyyyways..here’s a little recap of the race this year.
DATE: August 11, 2012
1389 W. 200 S
RACE LENGTH: 3.01 Miles
Waves of up to 600 participants will start at the following times:
Here are most of the obstacles in order:
- Dash down a river – your shoes get wet quickly in the race!
- Run through muddy terrains
- Propel down a steep slope with a rope (several of these throughout the race)
- Military Crawl under barbed wire – The wire got stuck on my shorts because my booty was too high in the air. I got yelled at by some drill Sargent dude to lower my a$$!! haha. Make sure to keep your lower half close to the ground so you don’t get yelled at or snatched up by some barbed wire like me.
- HILLS!! – There were so many hills this year. All of them were muddy too so you really had to be careful to watch your ankles so you don’t get hurt. There was one HUGE hill that took us all probably 15 minutes to get up because it was a narrow path with a single file line all the way to the top. That got my calves burning!
- Get low – Crawl under logs through the dirt.
- Tight Rope – Balance your way across the tight rope without falling!
- The Great Warrior Wall – A huge wall to climb over using a single rope
- Mud Mounds – There were about 4 huge mounds of mud that we had to climb up. The mud was soooo slippery and was really hard to get up the hill. Everyone struggled at this obstacle. After you got to the top, you slid down the slippery mud hill into a puddle of mud and climbed the next larger hill.
- Leader’s Ledge – This was a wall that was over a water pit. You had to rock climb sideways across the wall to make it to the other side without falling in the water.
- Chaotic Crossover – Climb over a pit in tangled nets.
- Road Rage – Climb over a junkyard filled with old boats and rusted wreckage.
- Capsized Catamaran – Swim to some floating blocks in water, jump over obstacles on the float while staying balanced and swim back to land. This was the hardest part of the race for me. I ended up having to tread water for a few minutes to try to get up on the obstacle. While I was waiting to get up, I kept getting kicked by other warriors who were trying to hoist themselves on top of the float. It was tough to get on top of the float. After being completely out of breath from swimming and treading water, it was hard to use all upper body strength and pull myself on top! I did it though 🙂 Phew!
- Cargo Climb – Climb a huge wall of cargo nets
- Jump Through Fire – Jump over a few lines of fire
- Mud Mayhem – Crawl to the finish line in a pool of mud underneath barbed wire.
Throughout all these obstacles, there were a lot of mini obstacles thanks to nature itself. Lots of hills and rough terrain made it even more difficult.
It was a challenge but I’m so glad I did it!!! Here are some pictures.
I was also surprised to see that they completely changed the course from last year. They changed the path and added new obstacles. I was expecting to do the same one as last year. I LOVED the new challenges 🙂 Good job Red Frog Events!
If you’re wondering how to train for this race, I don’t think there’s any way to train for it. I honestly think if you just get in decent cardio shape, that’s your best bet. There’s no way to train for the obstacles because you never know what they will throw at you.
I even saw a couple people being carried out on stretchers. My guess is they twisted their ankle. Gotta be super careful!
Before the race…all clean as can be 😉
The Warrior Dash is huge. There were thousands of people there and it’s one big party. There were 600 people that raced every half hour…that’s a LOT of Warriors!
Here I am in the below picture jumping over fire. I’m in the back with the black tank top, kickin’ that fire’s booty!
The cargo climb. I loved this thing. The obstacles were all so fun!
Here I go almost at the finish line..looking like a muddy monster. The guy in front of me looks like he’s struggling haha.
Below is the water obstacle that I hated. You can see me on the right with my arms out to the side trying to balance. Haha.
Post Race picture…
The three Warriors with our medals 🙂
There was also a campground this year. Maybe I’ll do that next year?!
I survived the Warror Dash 2012!
Here are a couple tips for your next Warrior Dash
- Wear tight clothes. When you get muddy, your clothes weigh a billion pounds and hang off you if they are loose. The tighter the better
- Tighten your shoes! There are a lot of times your shoes may get sucked into the mud if they aren’t tight. I saw a lot of people who actually taped their shoes around their ankles to keep them on.
- Feel free to wear a costume, as many people dress ridiculous. I love the costume idea and will probably do that next year..as long as it’s a tight and light weight costume. A few of my favorite costumes I saw this year were the Pope and a group of girls as Ninja Turtles 🙂
- Your shoes won’t get ruined from this race. You can throw them in the wash afterwards and they are fine.
- Drink alcohol AFTER the race, not BEFORE. We spent time at the camp grounds before our race time and saw many people playing beer pong before their race started. I can’t imagine doing all these obstacles with alcohol in my system. That would be an injury waiting to happen!
Have you ever done a Warrior Dash? If you haven’t, I’d HIGHLY suggest you try it.
I’ve done other mud races, but I’ve never done a Tough Mudder..those are similar but the courses are a lot longer. Hmmm….I think I need to look into that now…
- 9. Run 3 5ks (3 out of 3 completed!!)