Eating Clean – Approved Foods List

By  |  152 Comments

eatcleanlist

Have you heard that you should be eating clean but don’t know exactly what that means?  While I have been trying to eat clean, I keep trying to figure out what is considered “clean” food.  The main food I think of when I hear “clean eating” is chicken and veggies.  Thankfully, there are a LOT more foods that are considered clean!

According to Jamie Eason and Bodybuilding.com, here is a list of approved clean foods!

Don’t forget to stay connected with me on Facebook!

The below list is the approved food list (per Jamie Eason)

Approved Foods

Oils

Use sparingly

• sunflower oil
  • coconut oil
  • walnut oil
  •  avocado oil
  •  olive oil
  •  grapeseed oil
  •  pumpkin seed oil

Fatty proteins

Healthy fats are often built into the meals. In the event they are not, pay attention to the serving size. Males typically get a full serving and females, a half serving.

• avocado
      • coconut
      • walnut
      • cashews
      • almonds
      • nut meal/flour
      • seeds
      • all natural peanut butter
      • salmon
      • sea bass
      • mackerel Limit, high in mercury
      • bluefish
      • trout
      • mussels
      • bluefin tuna

Lean proteins

Ladies: 6 – 8 oz portion, Guys: 8 – 10 oz portion

• soul
  • flounder
  • cod
  • halibut
  • mahi mahi
  • red snapper
  • orange ruffy Limit, high in mercury
  • ahi tuna Limit, high in mercury
  • swordfish Limit, high in mercury
  • tilapia
  • grouper
  • corvina
  • cobia
  • egg whites
  • chicken breast
  • extra lean ground turkey
  • london broil

• wheat flour
  • oat flour
  • chickpea flour
  • rice flour
  • quinoa flour

Sweeteners

• sugar free maple syrup use sparingly
  • coconut sugar
  • applesauce (no sugar added)
  • birch sugar Ideal(xylitol)
  • Stevia in the Raw or Truvia

Fruits

It’s best to choose berries in the morning and a citrus or banana directly following your workout, to eat in conjunction with your protein.

Melons

• honeydew
  • cantaloupe
  • wintermelon

sub acid (low cal):

• apple
  • papaya
  • pear
  • raspberry
  • blackberry
  • blueberry
  • cherry
  • mango
  • guava

acid (high water content, low cal):

• orange
  • passionfruit
  • strawberry
  • tangerine
  • tomato
  • grapefruit

Sweet (more calorie & nutrient dense)

These are to be used before a workout because they are more insulin-responsive.

• banana
  • date
  • fig
  • persimmon

Vegetables

Prepare vegetables by either steaming or grilling (may also eat raw). Stay away from anything sauteed or fried.

Flower bud:

• avocado

Legumes:

• green beans
  • lentils
  • snow peas
  • soybean

Note: Best options are fresh and frozen. However, if you choose canned, check for additives and high sodium.

Superfoods

• Rice Vinegar
      • KetchupHeinz Reduced Sugar or Wholefoods Organic
      • Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
      • Reduced sodium Teriyaki sauce
      • Salsa or Fresh Pico de gallo Tomatillo or Regular
      • Hot sauce or Chalula
      • Steak sauce (low sugar)
      • Chili Paste

• Tea
  • Vanilla and Almond extract

Carbs/Starches

• barley
      • Ladies – 3/4 cup
        Guys – 1 1/2 cup

• corn tortilla (Food for Life brand is best)
      • Ladies – 2-3
        Guys – 4-5

• Cream of Wheat/Rice or Rye
      • Ladies – 1 serving
        Guys – 2 servings

• Ezekial bread (made by Food for Life)
      • Ladies – 1 slice
        Guys – 2 slices

• lentils
      • Ladies – 3/4 cup
        Guys – 1 1/2 cups
      • oats
      • Ladies – 1 serving
        Guys – 2 servings (1 cup)
      • whole wheat pasta
      • Ladies – 1 cup
        Guys – 2 cups

• potato (white, only occasionally)
      • Ladies – 5 oz

• Quinoa
      • Ladies – 1/4 cup cooked
        Guys – 1/2 cup cooked

• Couscous
      • Ladies – 1/4 cup cooked
        Guys – 1/2 cup cooked

Information Source: All credit given to Bodybuilding.com!

Eason, Jamie (2011, November 8). The Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer Approved Foods List. Retrieved from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-approved-foods-list.html

Approved Supplements

(shakes/whey/meal replacements/protein bars)

Don’t forget to stay connected with me on Facebook!!

Now I hope you have a better understanding of the Eat Clean Diet and what eating clean actually means!

Comment Here!

Loading Facebook Comments ...

152 Comments

1. Amy B @ Second City Randomness

February 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I try to eat clean about 70% of the time. It’s a good balance that works for me. Because God knows I can’t keep away from the candy jar…

2. Anastasia

April 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

curious about pineapple..where does that fall?
    thanks for all the info!

April 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Pineapple is a clean food. It is best eaten earlier in the day or post workout. It has quite a bit of sugar, so don’t eat it too late!

• Anastasia

April 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Thank you!

3. Deborah

May 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

What about Agave as a sweetner?

May 29, 2012 at 7:40 am

I would pass on the Agave. It’s not a natural sweetner and has concentrated fructose.

4. Ginger

May 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

Great information!

5. Alisia

May 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Would whole peaches be considered a clean food?
    I’m curious, because I can’t live without peaches.

May 29, 2012 at 7:33 am

Yes peaches are clean but they are loaded with sugar so be careful with them. Try to eat them earlier in the day and maybe limit yourself to half a peach per meal because of the sugar content.

6. Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense

May 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi, I heard that bananas are good for AFTER a workout. Do you agree? And would you consider almond flour to be a clean food? Thanks. :)

May 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Yes, a half of a banana is great post workout. I’d say almond flour is clean, but I usually stick to making my own oat flour.

7. Ifeoma

May 31, 2012 at 12:12 am

What do you think about oatmeal and mangos?

May 31, 2012 at 8:28 am

Yes Yes Yes to oatmeal! I eat whole wheat oats every morning for breakfast. As for mangos, yes, they are a part of a clean diet. Like any fruit, they are high in sugar and carbs so try to eat them early in the day. If you’re like me and eating 6 meals a day, I’d try to only have them in your first 4 meals of the day and try to limit it to around 1/4 cup per meal.

8. Emily

May 31, 2012 at 7:49 am

Do you have any links/websites with good recipes that use only these foods?

9. Loretta

May 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm

So any sugars or carbs should be first part of your day? If yes why? What if your work out is the later part of the day? Thoughts on wine? Or for that matter any alcohol ?

June 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Yes sugars and carbs in early meals because your body doesn’t need that extra energy while asleep! Wine isn’t approved but I personally think its fine every once in a while!

10. Amanda

June 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I am a vegan, and I don’t limit what fruits, veggies, or legumes I eat. I don’t eat any animal products, which are the main source of fat in a human’s diet. I don’t eat processed foods and only use olive oil and coconut oil sparingly. Eating half a peach? Really? It’s not processed sugar, it’s natural! Why not eat the whole thing?

June 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

Even though it’s natural, it’s still surgar. I try to limit my sugar intake.

11. Pete

June 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Nice list. Not worried about genetically modified foods?
    I have switched to organic fruits & veggies where possible because of GMOs & pesticides.

June 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

It’s a concern of mine, but haven’t switched over to organic quite yet! Good for you on eating only organic!

• Chelsea

April 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm

There are no proven health benefits to eating organic (some natural pesticides can even be more harmful!). I only say this because the whole “eat organic, it’s better for you” thing hasn’t been proven, and eating organic foods is not sustainable! It has a lower agricultural yield, and is less cost effective. There are people in this world who are starving, so fearing GM foods is something I can personally no longer afford to support or ignore.

• Christina

August 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

They do not have higher yields. Do your own research that does not come from Monsanto and the likes. They are ruining the soil, water, and lives. Research about the bees! Research how GM farmers are committing suicide! Research the health of other GM farmers. You may get the same nutrients from a GM apple as you would an organic apple, but that’s not the point. The point is putting food in our mouths that is natural. It’s eating what humans are supposed to eat, not laced food. (Meaning laced with pesticides)

12. Chelsea

June 3, 2012 at 12:35 am

I have a question regarding day 5… tomatoes. Can’t eat them! :( any substitute??? My husband and I have just jumped on the “eat clean” bandwagon, and I’m super psyched to use this as our launching point, but for the hiccup of the tomatoes!! :)

June 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

I don’t like tomatoes either..yuck. Don’t worry about not eating them. There are plenty of other clean foods to eat.

• Lisa

March 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Add Tomatoes To Your SmoothieS!!!

13. Cally

June 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Most of this is awesome, but I had a question on the sweeteners. All the research I’ve done shows that stevia in the raw and truvia both have added ingredients that are not natural. Stevia in the raw has added dextrose for example. Wouldn’t this make stevia in the raw an unclean food? Thanks

June 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’ve heard both sides of Stevia and Truvia but at this point, I think it’s clean enough for me.

• Christina

August 14, 2013 at 8:19 am

I was going to say the same about Stevia in the raw and Truvia. If you are eating clean, then you want organic coconut palm sugar (sustainably grown only).

14. Jenny

June 3, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I never crave sweets until after dinner while catching up on shows- any suggestions? This is a great site btw! thank you!!!

June 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

I have the same problem, girl!!! You can always try to make protein pudding.

Protein Pudding:
      2 Cups of Almond Milk or Skim Milk
      One Box of Instant Sugar Free Fat Free Vanilla Pudding
      2-3 Scoops of Protein Powder

• Courtney

July 13, 2012 at 1:56 am

Grain alcohol. Take 2 Tbsmorning and night and this will cause you to dislike the taste of anything overly sweet. Let me explain: Put a sprinkle of sugar in your mouth. Enough that you can taste the “sweet” and swallow or spit it out, up to you. Next put a few drops of the grain alcohol in your mouth and swoosh it around like mouth wash making sure that you cover your taste buds. I warn you the grain alcohol taste pretty darn nasty and you more than likely are going to want to spit it out but don’t. Now either swallow what remains or spit it out. Ok repeat the first step. Put more sugar in your mouth. You will notice you taste absolutely nothing. It blocks the signal to your brain that tells your brain that it is experiencing something sweet. If you take 2 Tbs 2x daily either straight up like you would cough syrup or you mix it wil a small amount of water then it will teach your body to stop craving those sweet things because you no longer get that “fix” you used to get when you did eat the sweet foods.

Hope that helps!

July 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

Wow! What a cool trick! Thanks for sharing.

• Jaime

January 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

where can i buy grain alcohol?

• Guy

November 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Everclear is grain alcohol. Liquor store.

15. Ritchie

June 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Natural Peanut Butter included, but peanuts not on the list?

June 8, 2012 at 9:44 am

Good catch! Peanuts should be on this list.

16. Elizabeth S.

June 11, 2012 at 6:31 am

I just read the comment about Stevia in the Raw. “In the Raw” is the brand name, and it does have some added stuff in it. There is pure Stevia out there, usually in liquid form that comes with a dropper.
    I agree with you Erin, there is such controversy over it, you have to decide on your own what is right for you.
    The biggest thing is, there is PLENTY for you to eat as you can see from the list. Its not crazy eating clean!
    Great list!

17. Carmen Ridgeway

June 19, 2012 at 8:05 am

All of the clean eating things I’ve read have listed 100% maple syrup and honey as acceptable sugar substitutes…do you not recommend these? Also they have balsamic vinegar and olive oil as being suitable for salad dressing…thoughts?

June 19, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’d say yes to them being clean but some people may be more strict than me :) For dressing I usually use Newman’s Own dressings because they are all natural. I usually go for the balsamic vinaigrette and it’s delish!

18. Kristine

June 24, 2012 at 8:05 am

I have a question. I keep seeing cottage cheese on these lists of clean foods. What is so clean about cottage cheese? When I look at the ingredients I see all these ingredients I can’t pronounce. Is there something I am missing here? Is there an organic brand that may be more “clean” out there? Thanks!

June 25, 2012 at 11:00 am

I have wondered the same thing! I believe it’s because it’s high protein source. I’ve never seen an organic brand but I don’t eat cottage cheese. I can’t stand the texture!

• Sonja

July 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I love cottage cheese but in the last 10 years have noticed a textural/taste change. I started checking labels and realized that there seem to be many more ingredients than I remember. Recently I found that Daisy 2%, small curd cottage cheese has the following ingredients: Cultured Skim Milk, Cream, Salt, and Vitamin A Palmitate. It has a good flavor and texture, none of the sliminess in some of the other brands.

• Marisol

February 3, 2013 at 1:06 am

Organic Valley makes cottage cheese, both ‘regular’ and ‘lowfat’ – not too much difference in the ingredients, as you can see below

‘Regular’ ingredients: Organic Cultured Pasteurized Skim Milk, Organic Pasteurized Cream, Organic Nonfat Milk, Citric Acid, Salt, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Locust Bean Gum, Acidophilus and Bifidus Cultures, Enzymes.

Lowfat ingredients: Organic Cultured Pasteurized Skim Milk, Organic Pasteurized Cream, Organic Nonfat Milk, Citric Acid, Salt, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Locust Bean Gum, Acidophilus and Bifidus Cultures, Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes.

• JiJI

October 31, 2013 at 10:26 am

Daisy brand cottage cheese has 4 ingredients..,. Cultured Skim Milk, Cream, Salt, Vitamin A.

19. maria

June 25, 2012 at 11:43 am

What about grapes? I freeze them and they are delish! Are they considered clean?

June 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

Grapes are clean but be sure to eat them in your first few meals of the day because they are high in sugar.

• Courtney

July 13, 2012 at 2:01 am

Frozen grapes are beyond a life saver when I’m craving Icecream!

20. Angela

June 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I have found that growing your own Stevia is very simple even though I live in Idaho! You can use it fresh or dry it. It works well in drinks. Also i extract the sweetness by simmering it for a little while. Then i can use it like the liquid drops you buy. When I tried the truvia & stevia in the raw I found it had a strange aftertaste.

My grandsons love to pick it fresh add some mint leaves and either make a fresh mint tea or add a few fresh strawberries!

You can find the seeds for Strevia on the internet.

June 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Wow! I’ve never heard of this!!! How fun. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing!!!

• Courtney

July 13, 2012 at 2:03 am

Where can you find seeds/plants?

• Ondrea

July 19, 2012 at 10:05 am

Ask around at your local greenhouses next spring for STEVIA. Its a plant that looks like a cross of basil and mint (grows upright with slighly fuzzy leaves). If your area carries Chef Jeff brand, ask the buyer to order Stevia from the vendor.

• Sarah

September 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Try rareseeds.com they have TONNES of heirloom seeds including stevia. They sell non GMO organic seeds including some rare stuff.

21. Becky

June 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Soul is not the fish! Sole is the fish! Great list though!

22. Jenny

June 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm

So, what about Splenda? Is it not clean?

June 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Splenda (sucralose) is not considered clean because it’s an artificual sweetner. I’ve read some studies that show that Splenda actually INCREASES appetite, contains chlorine, and had negative effects on the livers, spleens and kidneys of laboratory animals! I’d try to stay away from Splenda and stick to something like Truvia or Stevia.

23. Sandra

July 5, 2012 at 9:43 am

What about coconut milk? I see almond and rice but I prefer the taste of coconut milk. Is that clean?

July 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’d consider Coconut milk to be clean if you get the unsweetened kind. I know So Delicious makes unsweetened coconut milk. Just watch yourself and don’t drink too much because there is a bit of fat in it.

• Courtney

March 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Be careful with coconut milk and almond milk. I get the Silk Unsweetened Original Almond milk. Most of them have carrageenan, which is very controversial. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan (first paragraph)

24. kellye

July 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I use organic blue agave nectar, the ingredients list that is the only ingredient. I’m confused to why it is not clean?

July 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

This list was provided by Jamie Eason and bodybuilding.com so I can’t justify EVERYTHING listed or not listed. Sorry!!!

• Lisa

July 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I too am completely stumped as to why you would have Truvia and Stevia on here but not Agave Nectar – there is no way it cannot be clean. It is 100% Organic Agave Nectar, low GI so it does not spike blood sugar and can be used to sweeten anything. Do a little research people – don’t just blindly follow a list because it says “clean”!

25. K

July 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for the great list!
    Are any other cheeses besides cottage – considered clean?
    Also, are olives clean?

Thanks!

July 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

I don’t think there are any other cheeses or olives that are considered clean.

26. Erica

July 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm

You say to use skim milk, but have you ever read about all the things they do to milk to skim out the fat? And then they have to add in the vitamins and even color it so it looks white. I ONLY drink whole milk, just much less of it than I would like. I love milk :/

July 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

True. This list was provided by Jamie Eason at bodybuilding.com so I can’t justify EVERYTHING listed.

• Marisol

February 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

Erica, I’m like you – I LOVE milk & switched from non-fat back to whole (although I drink lactaid b/c I’m now lactose intolerant). I’ve noticed that my sweet-tooth has significantly diminished & I am fuller longer (after reading about nonfat/lowfat vs. whole milk (and cheeses) is that they are more natural, without all the process/additives & it keeps the insulin levels in the body from crashing.

27. Brooke

July 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I was wondering if I could try crystal light, because I just took out pop and wanted something sweet that i could not feel guilty about, if not thats okay and maybe reccommend something?

July 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

I wonderded the same thing a while back and my coach said NO to that because of artificial flavors. I switched to using True Lemon once in a while which is an all natural lemon flavor. They also have a lime flavor and a strawberry lemonade one :)

• Angila

July 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hey Brooke
      There is a drink called Ice, its flavored water that has 0 calories 0 sugar and 0 fake surgar and has green tea.

28. Alexandria

July 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm

What about mushrooms? I loooooooove mushrooms and don’t want to give them up lol.

July 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

I don’t know why mushrooms aren’t on the list. YES they are clean :)

29. Codi

July 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Where does cheese fall on this list. I saw cottage cheese in the dairy section, but what of swiss or ricotta?

July 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

Cheese is a no-go in the clean world. Bummer…I know :(

• Michelle

March 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

I CANNOT give up cheese, just can’t do it! Have to indulge in something in life!

• Nicole

March 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I can’t live without cheese either! Don’t buy cheese that is shredded it has anti-caking ingredients, buy the block and shred it yourself. Also try to stick to white cheese, most yellow cheeses have artificial food dyes in them.

30. Alli

July 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I was wondering if jello sugar free vanilla pudding snack pack is considered clean? I’m addicted to it and would hate to give it up!

July 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

I personally think it’s okay but many wouldn’t agree with me. They ARE delish, I agree! Those that wouldn’t agree is because there are preservatives and artificial sweetners in them.

31. Laura

July 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm

What about salmon? It’s great for you but I don’t see it on the list!

32. Laura

July 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Opps just saw it.

33. Katy

July 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

I see cashews and almonds on the list, but what is your opinion on pistachios?

July 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I’d say they are okay.

• Marisol

February 3, 2013 at 1:14 am

I’m allergic to tree nuts and it SUCKS b/c they are on almost all lists for all “diets” – regardless of whether they are clean or not. There are only so many peanuts I can eat. Any substitute suggestions?

February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

For a healthy fat, you could always try oils like flaxseed oil!

• Katie

October 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

You could try seeds….sunflower and pumpkin. They are not from a tree and still have a ‘nutty’ quality.

34. Becca

July 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

What about the nature valley granola bars? the ones with honey and oats? :)

35. Lauren

July 18, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Why is tempeh listed as a condiment…?

36. Amanda

July 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I love this- thanks for the info. Do you have a page or know of a page that has a list of non clean food. Most of us know some of the obvious things that arent clean, but I am betting there is a ton of stuff that is not considered clean that people think is.

37. michelle

July 22, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great list, I am just a little hesitant on the sugar free maple syrup. I have yet to see a product labeled sugar free that did not have artificial 0 calorie sweeteners in it. If you have found one I would love to know about it. Thankyou!

38. Stacey

July 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

This is a great list! My only complaint is within the Lean Protein section. There are several fish/seafood options here that are on the RED FLAG list of not to eat from Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. Eat clean AND sustainable!!!

39. Jenna

July 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I make a recipe using vinegar, onions, and half and half. Is half and half okay?

July 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

I don’t think half and half would be considered clean. Sorry. Why don’t you try to use unsweetened almond milk instead?

40. Atoya

August 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Corn on the cob and grits?? Love those….clean or no?

August 8, 2012 at 7:17 am

Corn on the cob can be high in sugar so watch out for that. As for grits, make sure it’s used with white corn that is natural and not white flour. Grits can sometimes be high in sodium too. Also make sure to prepare your grits with clean ingredients!

41. Donna

August 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I buy 95% lean ground beef with no hormones or antibiotics all grass fed.
    Is that considered clean?

August 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’d say so.

42. kris @ diet tips

September 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

There are some whole grains like chic seeds that are considered whole foods and are not processed. These high fiber foods are not only healthier but a lot of them are high in fiber and fiber keeps you full helping to reduce those crazy junk food cravings.

43. Cindy

October 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

What about honey? And I might have missed this, but would you say to have your natural sweetners earlier in the day?

October 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Yes, fruits with natural sugar are better to have early in the day.

• Amy

October 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Raw, unfiltered honey is best.

44. Peggy

October 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm

This is just my opinion but a lot of the foods on your list are not clean.

95% of all soy in the USA is GMO. I chose to not eat it at all.
    It is in almost every processed food including cream of wheat. Read the label. That includes soy sauce.

also most zucchini is gmo.

Last year I spent 2 months in the hospital because of GMO foods. I eat fresh whole foods or nothing at all. has to be 100% organic.

the worst is Fat free cooking spray. It is GMO soy and propellent which is nothing but, well GMO soy and butane. nasty stuff.

almost all canned tomato’s have there skin stripped off with chemicals with the exception of Hunts who uses steam.

45. Emily

October 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Erin,

I really appreciate how much time and effort you have put in to creating this list, and of course, for helping others. Thank you!!!

October 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

awww thanks Emily ;)

46. Ben

October 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Is chicken breast bad to eat if there is lifting and running activity every day?

October 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Chicken breast is always good to eat!

47. Stargazer

October 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

It’s orange “roughy”, not “ruffy”…

48. Trina

October 12, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thank u so much!

49. Joseph

October 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

What about turkey bacon? I have been looking everywhere for a 100% complete list of foods that are allowed while eating clean and cannot find one.

October 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

It’s clean in moderation not as a main protein source.

• Amy

October 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I choose real bacon in moderation. Have you looked at the ingredient list of turkey bacon? Chemical everything…yuck.

50. Amy

October 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Why is salmon not on the protein list, but tilapia is? Tilapia is a farmed fish, most of the tilapia eaten in America is from China or Taiwan with many pollutants and very weak management systems. I would choose wild caught salmon over tilapia every time.

• Charli

November 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It is, it’s under fatty protein, probably because it has a higher fat content than the lean proteins. Salmon is a prime source of Omega-3, after all.

51. genene

January 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

A great post. I have been eating clean for 4 years and am really into it.

52. jessmciver

January 17, 2013 at 3:42 am

what about mushrooms?

53. Nikki

February 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm

What about almond butter?

February 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm

almond butter is okay!

54. Courtney

March 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm

What I never understand about these lists, is the serving size. Am I supposed to have 1 serving of each of those things every day? How often for each thing? Banana every day, walnuts every 2 or 3 days? 1/2 of serving of salmon today and 1 serving of blueberries tomorrow. lol I just don’t understand how to know how much to have how often.

Any tips? My biggest concern is that as much as I try to eat clean, I might be eating the wrong amounts of the right things either too often, or not often enough. Exhausting! hahaha

Thanks for the list and the efforts.

March 6, 2013 at 10:01 pm

It really differs based on person and what your goals are! You have to figure out what works for your body!

55. Diane

March 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thank you for giving “clean eating beginners” like me a good idea of where to start.

56. Esther

April 8, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I disagree with sugar free maple syrup… anything listed as low fat, no fat or sugar free that aren’t naturally are not clean!

57. Niketa Hopson

May 5, 2013 at 9:10 am

I was wondering what about canned fruit and frozen fruit, Im in the military living overseas in the middle east and some fruits are just not available fresh, would it be ok to use frozen and canned fruits that have no added sugars?

May 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Just watch sodium levels in canned items…they can be high!!

58. megan

May 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Hi

Not sure if they were mentioned, but what about black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, etc…?

Thanks!

May 8, 2013 at 11:20 am

Black beans are okay…healthy carb! Not too sure about the other types.

59. tara

May 19, 2013 at 9:34 pm

wHat about balsamic vinegar? Is that of for salads and stuff?

May 19, 2013 at 9:53 pm

In my opinion, balsamic vinaigrette is okay. Just keep it to a small amount.

60. Adrienne

June 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

What is your opinion on veganese? It has all natural ingredients. Also, what are the best type of clean wraps to get? I haven’t been eating natural peanut butter..what is exactly is the difference?

61. Sandi

June 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Is frozen anything off the list? Does everything need to be fresh in order to be considered clean? I like to prepare tilapia, but purchase it frozen for convenience.

June 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I buy frozen veggies..the ones you can steam. Check the ingredients list. If there are a lot of things you can’t pronounce, it’s not considered clean. If it has 3 simple ingredients and it’s frozen, it’s good to go!

62. Ashley

July 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Just wondering if organic 100% cranberry juice from concentrate considered clean? I use about 2 ounces in my protien smoothie in the morning.
    Thanks!!

July 9, 2013 at 8:23 am

I’d say so!

63. Jo

July 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Can i eat jordans muesli and oat granola?
    this is the ingredient list?

British Wholegrain Cereals (60%) (Oat Flakes, Wheat Flakes, Toasted Wheat Flakes), Dried Fruit (25%) (Chopped Dates (11%), Raisins (11%), Dried Apple Slices (3.5%)), Sunflower Seeds (10%), Raw Cane Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil), Honey, Almonds, Natural Flavouring

July 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

It just depends on how strict you’re being on your clean eating. The ingredients looks pretty natural to me!

• Christina

August 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

The red flags are the vegetable oil and the natural flavoring. Natural flavoring can mean many things, including Castoreum, which comes from beaver anal glands.

64. Amy

July 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I am new to clean eating and feeling a little overwhelmed. Reading through the posts I see that you suggest fruits in the early part of the day, how many servings of fruit and veggies do you suggest? I juice in the mornings, should that be all the fruit I use for the day?

Thanks for your wonderful list!

July 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi Amy. I try to have my fruits in the first 3-4 of my 6 meals in the day. Try to have veggies with every meal or at least 5 out of 6!

65. Mohamad Fikri

August 13, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Hi,can i eat dates and raisins plus oatmeal?

66. Traci

August 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi there,
    I’m about 3 weeks into eating clean and am still kind of confused when it comes to grains. I was confused regarding oatmeal, but I see you have it every morning. What about whole wheat or multigrain breads? Ok? Is it better to have a wrap? Rice? If you could clarify, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!

August 20, 2013 at 8:46 am

Whole wheat oats are a staple to clean eating diets! Whole wheat and multigrain breads are okay but ezekiel bread is the best option. Brown rice is also a great choice for carbs. Hope this helps.

67. Rita

September 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Please explain how Truvia is considered clean. If eating clean means avoid processed/chemically enhanced foods have you looked further into how Truvia (even Stevia in the Raw) is created?

68. Sanjay

September 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm

What about olives, are they apart of clean eating?

69. Erik

September 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm

If you are eating “clean” it should look like this. Whole unprocessed foods…no grains, legumes, and dairy. Eat meats, healthy fats, tons of veggies, and a little fruit. This has worked for hundreds of my clients and its sustainable. If you eat this way you will always have great body aesthetics and will never have to diet.

70. Jen Frederiksen

October 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I have a couple of questions
    1. Coconut milk, We drink coconut milk we prefer the taste a bit and based on labels it seems comparable to almond milk.Would you consider it clean?
    ALSO we eat clean, i’d say 75-80% of the time. My four year old has the easiest time with it. And while i’d like for it to be my strict diet I am allergic to citrus( orange lemon strawberry grapefruit etc ) gluten, lactose, walnuts hazelnuts ( sad nutella has always been my cheat) most spices, tomatoes …so problem is that even in clean eating i’m limited. And i’m in Wyoming.! It is so hard for me to find grab and go food I don’t have guarenteed time to pre bullit kale smoothies and i get worn out on things like bananas. what would you recommend that is easier to grab that is clean?

71. Ifrede

October 5, 2013 at 10:50 am

Olives are part of the eatclean list?

72. Zoxey

October 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

I’m a beginner in this whole clean eating thing, so I have some questions:

Why greek yoghurt is better then the plain, nature one?
    Are dried goods (like raisins or plums, peaches, dates) clean?
    (I know they contain much more sugar than the fresh ones)
    Is tahini clean? It’s made of sezame seeds and a ‘must have’ ingerdient to hummus, which I love!
    All diary products are tabu, except cottage cheese? But what about goat cheese or sheep cheese?
    I had ( to be honest have) eating disorder and I’m literally afraid of protein powder, bar , anything.
    Why is it good to give that to your body? Is it good only when you want to build muscles?

Thanks for sharing this list with us! It’s great btw! :)

73. Sharon

November 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

Did I overlook Rye and Buckwheat flour? I get my buckwheat from the grower and it is unprocessed. Used to for baked zucchini and avocado sticks with just a spray of olive oil it is great to introduce young eaters to a non-fried alternative. Also can be used with any root vegetables in the same way. Make fresh ketchup (using all clean foods and sweetener sparingly) for dipping and everyone is happy.

74. Peter @ How to Gain Weight

November 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm

One of my favorite foods is salmon (I guess wild salmon is the best, because it usually contains less pollutants). You get a lot of protein and also the healthy fats in there. I am also big on brown rice. Those two are staples in my diet. :)

75. Fit Farrah

December 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm

This list saved me a ton of time! My nutritionist recommended bamboo shoots and papaya (both on your list) and a few others. Going shopping tonight and will be using this as a helpful resource.

76. vanetta

March 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I love all this information. Im going to start eating clean tomorrow. This is really helpful. Thanks